Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Response to "On Facebook, Biggest Threat to Your Private Data May Be You."

My parents and elders have always told me, “Be careful of what you display on the internet about yourself because it will always stay with you forever.” I take that into consideration every time I post something online. Facebook has its good and bad elements and I believe that it depends on the user whether they have a positive or negative experience with the site. Facebook is a great way to connect with friends. I have seen that first hand with my mother and her reconnection with her high school friends. Everybody, as a Facebook user, has the ability to control their privacy. And as a Facebook user myself, I know this first hand. When I first created my Facebook account I had the option to choose what I wanted to display about myself including my full name, my age, the city I live in, my interests, and my political and religious beliefs. So therefore everyone can choose what they want the public to know about them. Some people choose to display everything about them including posting about where they are, what they are doing, and how they feel. Those kinds of people are the ones that don’t protect themselves and keep their data private. As the article states, “you are your own front line of defense in maintaining your privacy.” Yes, Facebook, like all websites has their flaws but this article does a good job in showing people that they need to be in control of what they put out in the World Wide Web.

1 comment:

  1. Jazlyn, This is the kind of post you'll make for your Free Choice weeks. For Text Reponses, you need to look not at the content of the article, but the argument. What is working with the author's argument? What isn't?

    ReplyDelete